The spectacular landscape of the world renowned Ngorongoro Crater has to be seen to be believed. It forms part of the Ngorongoro Conservation Area (NCA) within the Serengeti ecosystem and the Crater itself is home to more than 25 000 large mammals. Once a large volcano that later collapsed, it is now the largest intact caldera in the world.
The Crater floor has abundant water, which provides excellent grazing for resident herbivores, while the Crater walls are covered in lush vegetation, forming excellent protection for the large numbers of game.
This is an area of spectacular beauty and superb game viewing, a truly unique safari destination.
- See Maasai herdsmen graze their cattle side by side with predators and prey
- Easy sightings of the Big Five
- The Lerai Forest is one of the best places in Africa for leopard sightings
- The views from the Crater rim are breathtaking
- Luxurious lodges perch on the rim, offering wonderful views and 4×4 safaris on the Crater floor
Why visit Tanzania?
- Olduvai Gorge – said to be the birthplace of man
- The chimpanzees on the shores of Lake Tanganyika
- Take a hot-air balloon ride over the Serengeti plains
- Picnic on the Ngorongoro Crater floor – known as the 8th Wonder of the World
- Visit a traditional Maasai village
- See tree-climbing lions in Lake Manyara National Park
- Gorgeous Zanzibar Island, with its stunning beaches and fascinating history
&BEYOND NGORONGORO CRATER LODGE
$ 1000 – $ 5425
Guests can be forgiven for losing track of which era, or even continent, they are experiencing at &Beyond Ngorongoro Crater Lodge.
Nowhere else on earth can you wake up among all the trappings of an elegant baroque chateau – brocade sofas, gilt mirrors, beaded chandeliers and panelled walls – and be instantly transported into one of the most famous African landscapes with just one glance out the window of the lodge.